Perfectly battered shrimp with delicious sauces.
- Remove the shells from the shrimps leaving the tail on. Use a sharp paring knife to put several small and shallow on the spine and underbelly of the shrimp to loosen the flesh so that the shrimp lies flat. Repeat this step until all the shrimp has been prepared. Set on a plate and place in the refrigerator to remain chilled until they are ready to be deep fried.
- Prepare savory sauce by pouring water, soy sauce, beef soup base, mirin, seaweed, and shrimp shells to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then Turn off heat, strain always the shrimp and seaweed leaving the liquid broth behind in a bowl cover and set aside for dipping. Pour sweet chili sauce into a serving bowl or ramekin for little use.
- Pour 1½ cups of the tempura batter mix into a bowl then add the cold water. Use a fork to mix until all the flour mixture is saturated, resembling pancake batter but with a few lumps remaining. Add three cubes of ice to batter and stir to keep it chilled.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet to rest the shrimp on after they fry.
- Pour oil into a medium deep saucepan to about halfway for frying. Bring to medium heat. When ready to fry the shrimp, remove from refrigerator lightly dip them into some of the tempura flour then quickly swirl into the batter evenly coating the shrimp then gently swirling it into the hot oil for a few seconds before letting it go into the oil to finish frying.
- Take a spoonful of the batter and quickly drizzle it over the shrimp to create strands of crispy batter which gives it the shrimp that classic wavy crust.
- Fry for about 30 to 40 seconds until golden brown and crispy the shrimp and butter cooks quickly so you need to gauge the temperature to make sure that the batter isn’t Browning too quickly.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the shrimp has been fried. You may double the batter to fry veggies and onions to serve along with the shrimp.
- Serve hot with the tempura the sauces.
Other recipes you might like